Good news, there is a new game called GaGa Ball that provides lots of fun for kids and the entire family can play.
We all want our kids to get the right amount of exercise and find ways to entertain themselves that don’t require a power outlet. Getting your children outdoors, playing with their friends and getting active is extremely important for your children, their health and their well being.
We found this sport when we were on vacation at a park. There were a lot of children playing and naturally my boys were drawn to see what was going on. It was easy for them to see how to play and jump into the next game.
GaGa Ball is an exciting ball game that can be played by children of all ages. This game is a fantastic way to get children involved in something active and fun.
The rules are generally easy to follow and the game itself is easy to organize. One of the best parts of playing GaGa Ball is that the kids playing don’t have to have a great arm or perfect hand eye coordination, making it easy for children of all ages, stages and skill levels.
If you are seeking a fun way to get the kids involved in more exercise, GaGa Ball is the game for you.
What is GaGa Ball?
GaGa Ball is played in an octagon or hexagon shaped pit. Technically, the more players you have involved, the better. GaGa ball is played with a soft ball and is referred to as a gentler and kinder version of dodgeball. The game uses the skills of striking, jumping, running and dodging, all while attempting to hit the other team with a below the knees strike. Players should be continuously moving to avoid getting pegged with the ball. Easy, fun and hours of entertainment and exercise.
The Object of GaGa Ball
The object of GaGa Ball is to be the last player in the pit and to keep the ball moving and in play. When playing GaGa ball, you must always aim for the player’s feet.
How Many Players Needed for GaGa Ball?
The game of GaGa Ball is designed for large groups. The minimum is generally 5 players and can include up to 30. Just make sure that when playing, the octagonal areal is not too small for a large group but also not to large for a small group.
Best Ages for GaGa Ball
GaGa Ball is perfect for children of almost all age ranges, due to its simplicity. It is recommended for children ages 5 and up, so they can understand the rules and play effectively.
What You Need to Play GaGa Ball
In order to play Gaga Ball you will need a few things. From a pit to a ball, you will want to make sure you have everything you need.
- Ball – Any soft playground ball will work.
- Rules – See below for the rules of GaGa Ball.
- Referee – A non-player is going to need to referee the game.
- A GaGa Ball Pit – This acts as a boundary for the game and is usually in the shape of a hexagon or octagon.
Quick Rules to Get Started with GaGa Ball
GaGa Ball is incredibly simple to play. Essentially, a group of players meet in a ball pit and then start the game. If the ball touches you below the knee, you are immediately out of the game. The final player remaining in the pit is the winner. Then everyone gets back into the pit to start another round. Games are generally short, lasting only about 5 minuets or less. It is sweaty, fast paced and incredibly fun to play.
GaGa Ball Rules
- All players enter the GaGa Ball pit, touching a wall with both hands.
- A spectator throws the ball up into the air, allowing it to bounce close to the center of the pit.
- Allow the ball to bounce three times as the crowd chants “Ga Ga Go!” saying each word for each bounce.
- All players must keep both of their hands on the wall until the final bounce.
- Once every player release from the wall, they race for the ball or choose the best strategy to defend against it.
How to Play GaGa Ball / GaGa Ball Rules
- To move the ball, players are only allowed to use their hands. You are not permitted to throw or carry the ball. To serve the ball at another player, it must be hit with an open hand and kept low to the ground.
- If the served ball touches someone in the space between their knee and their foot, that player is out.
- When the served ball touches someone between their shoulders and knees, the play continues, and both players remain in the game.
- If the served ball hits someone in any space above their shoulders, the person who served the ball, leaves the game.
- If at anytime during game play the ball leaves the pit, the person who last served the ball is out.
- When the ball leaves the pit, it must be reintroduced to the game. Players return to the wall and place both hands on the wall, waiting for the ball to be reintroduced as per the starting rules.
- Once someone has served the ball, that player can not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.
- When only two players remain, the players may hit the ball a maximum of three times in a row. The ball is reset when it meets the wall, therefore resetting the hit count.
- Always make sure you have plenty of water available for players
- Use a large playground ball to play GaGa Ball, just make sure the ball is as soft as possible, so no one gets hurt.
- Always use an open hand to serve the ball.
- If game play is going slow, you can introduce a second ball to speed up the process.
Where to Find a GaGa Ball Pit
Many parks have pits. Our local middle school has a couple as well. There are tons of tutorials online to make your own.
GaGa Ball is a fantastic way to get your children off their screens and out there getting active with their friends. Just make sure that you read the rules and have everything you need for an amazing game.
You may also like:
Like it? Pin it.